Friday, June 9, 2017

Technology Helps Students with Special Needs

This week, I decided to expand my search to all technology in the classroom. From my years as an educator, I know firsthand how beneficial different types of technology can be for students with disabilities. This week, I read a couple of different articles but really enjoyed one about a college student in Indiana who is legally blind.  Sylvia, the student in the article describes her challenges in college, even though she graduated as the valedictorian of her high school class.  She talked about the assistive technology she used ranging from braille to voice input software.

It brings me joy as a teacher to see all students succeed, despite the obstacles that stand in their way.  Programs like voice input software make a huge difference in the education of many students.  I am thinking back to my last post about podcasts and how they have changed education and it just makes me think how podcasts can other audio tools can be used in the classroom to better the education of all learners.  My goal is to educate myself on many different tools and resources that can be used in my classroom so that I can give my students the best education possible.

Technology helps students with learning disabilities excel in the college classroom

2 comments:

  1. I find myself getting frustrated at my students who constantly misuse their iPads in class but, technology can really do great things within the classroom for students who utilize them correctly! Students with disabilities can now have a voice in the classroom - there are so many apps out there that help my nonverbal students be able to hold a conversation or your example of the student who is blind. It is amazing what technology can do within the classroom to help students meet their full potential. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you expanded your viewpoint to students with disabilities. It's all about meeting the needs our students whether they are physical disabilities or language disabilities.

    ReplyDelete