Thursday, June 15, 2017

A little something extra!

I had already made my post for this week, but I expanded my Google Alerts a little bit and wanted to share one more good article that made its way to me.

It is entitled  Mass. House votes to scrap ‘one size fits all’ ELL teaching.  I didn't even have to read to whole article before I thought, "Awesome!"  The Mass. House of Representatives passed a bill with a 151-2 vote giving schools districts more flexibility when teaching students with ELL needs.  Teachers and administrators are recognizing the different levels of their learners and seeing that a "one size fits all" mentality just does not meet the needs of the students anymore.  I'm hoping that great successes like this will continue to happen in the world of education and continue to open doors for our country's students. Check it out.

One Size Does Not Fit All

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad that you posted this article. It is very true that a one size fits all mentality for ELL students is just not effective. The article compares students whose parents are foreign graduate students with students who are immigrants from countries in which they didn't even have an education in their native language. I hope this spurs other states to take a serious look at the needs of ELL education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalie!

    I actually came across the same article and said AWESOME out loud, too! It seems like anything with the government is always two steps behind, but I will take this small victory as a giant step of forward progress. We need to get more states on board with the same type of logic with the rapidly increasing L2 population that we are responsible for educating!

    ReplyDelete