Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Classroom Technology Boosts Engagement

This week, an article came up in my alerts about how classroom technology has boosted engagement in the classroom.  As a teacher myself, I have seen firsthand how SmartBoards, tablets, and other types of technology have changed the atmosphere of the classroom.
            The article I read is focused around Rome and Floyd County Schools and how they view Chromebooks and iPads as instructional tools that encourage teacher and students collaboration.  The schools in these counties are using the free Google tools in the G Suite for Education, like the Calendar, Docs, and Drive. Tools such as these are easy for students to use and keep the class connected on all levels since they can be accessed and worked on from any location.  The schools also use programs like code.org to teach coding and computer skills to students.
            One concern that was mentioned in this article is the generation gap between the students and the teachers. I have seen great teachers retire because they were overwhelmed by all the changes coming about with technology, which is unfortunate.  The schools are using a program called Level Up to train teachers on the new technology and educational programs and apps. I think that is a good idea because you want all teachers to be on board.
            From an ESL/ELL standpoint, I think it is wonderful that schools are using new tools and technology to benefit their students.  We have seen how different apps and programs benefit ELL students because they offer such a unique experience. I would hope that schools all over the country, and the world, willingly take part in this educational shift towards technology so that all students can have this experience.


3 comments:

  1. It is a shame that teachers retire early because they are overwhelmed to learn something new. I know a teacher that was an LTS this year and she did not want to use any technology, but yet she wants a full-time job at my district. How is that going to happen? Embrace the change! Help branch out to other learners, like ESL students who need this technology to really help them learn their own way! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a few teachers who retired for that reason as well. Our school does monthly trainings on different apps to help teachers learn how to utilize the technology in the classroom. It's amazing what the gap is between students and teachers. I am only 25 and pretty good with technology and the kids always seem to know more than me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One idea you mentioned that I love about the Google suite is that it is in fact free. Schools can be fully functional online and provide cyber collaboration among all vested parties for free. I also appreciate the mobility of all the Google applications. My students no longer need flash or thumb drives and can easily move from device to device. Thanks for sharing, and I am going to check out code.org

    ReplyDelete